Victorian Greyhounds showpiece night with the running of the Melbourne Cup and The Bold Trease. The Melbourne Cup is for the sprinters and is only won by champions – this year they are running for a 1st prize of $420,000. The Bold Trease is for the stayers, competing for a huge 1st prize of $100,000.
Track Distances: 515m, 595m and 715m
Track Records: 515m- Bekim Bale 28.96 / 595m- Bobby Boucheau 33.67 / 715m- Miata 41.17
Split Records (1st Split) : 515m – Black Magic Opal 4.90 / 595m- Black Illusion 8.97 / 715m- Banjo Star 5.98
|Distance||Box 1||Box 2||Box 3||Box 4||Box 5||Box 6||Box 7||Box 8||Total|
Current Trainers Vic Metro Premiership : Andrea Dailly 205 winners from 1259 runners / Jeffrey Britton 76 winners from 407 runners / Robert Britton 58 winners from 410 runners.
Current Sires and Brood Bitches Metro Tracks : Bekim Bale 81 winners / Cosmic Rumble 65 winners / Kinloch Brae 62 wins
Recent winners include:
2014 – Sweet It Is
2013 – Cheetah Zone
2012 – Miata
2011 – Zipping Malfoy
2010 – So Seductive
Runner & Comment:
- Lithgow Panther (51-17-12-8): Boxed nicely – ran on well in its heat for 2nd in 42.16. 1st split – 6.33
- Come On Fantasy (47-10-11-9): 4 time winner from box 2. Ran home very strongly to win its heat in 41.95. 1st split 6.23
- Bourbski Fever (47-10-11-9): Strong runner who lacks early pace but will be finishing hard. 2nd in its heat in 42.21. 1st split 6.38
- Kraken Flash (31-10-1-5): Got home after being out the back early when 2nd in 42.04. 1st split 6.46. The “accordion alley” 4 won’t help.
- Ryno’s Raider (33-8-6-6): Led early and fought all challengers off when winning its heat in 42.13. 1st split of 6.23
- Kilkee Flex (41-12-7-6): Front runner who may get the fly here. Led and made its own luck when winning its heat in 42.12. 1st split 6.11.
- Luna Jinx (55-19-12-6): Took the lead soon after jump for a strong win in 41.94 (best of night). 1st split 6.35.
- Lady Toy (79-21-21-15): Best credentialed dog but yet to win from the pink box. Ran home strongly after missing the jump for 2nd in 42.16. 1st split 6.47
- Unix Bale (86-17-14-12): (1st em) near the lead when 3rd to the 6 in 42.19. 1st split 6.24.
- Mystic Twist (54-14-7-6): (2nd em) Led but faded late when 3rd to the 2 in 42.27. 1st split 6.10 (fastest of the heats).
LUNA JINX looks set to get a nice cart into the race following the 6 across. Managed to get the start last time and after it led it gave nothing else a chance when winning in the best time of the night. Has won from every box and its PB is 41.34 which is easily the best time of these. KILKEE FLEX looks the early leader going on last week’s splits. He Fought them all off when it saluted from the five box and hasn’t broken 42 seconds here so will need some carnage behind it but it will give them something to chase.
BOURBSKI FEVER will jump nearer to the tail of the field and will need luck but if the heavens open up it will be the one finishing off hard. Has only managed 6/22 but has the services of Champion trainer Andrea Dailly. LADY TOY had to chase home the champ Sweet It Is three and four starts ago and followed that with a 5th to Luna Jinx here. Missed the kick but ran home strong when 2nd here last time. Is yet to win from the pink box and will need plenty of luck. COME ON FANTASY produced a PB last week in its heat when it ran home very strongly to beat the 1. Has won 4 times from the checks and is a chance drawn close.
Recent winners include:
2014 – Dyna Villa
2013 – Black Magic Opal
2012 – Got A Moment
2011 – Dyna Tron
2010 – El Grand Senor
Runner & Comment:
- Bearville Azza (30-14-4-3): Ran 29.48 from box 3. 1st split a very fast 4.96.
- Dyna Double One (41-21-9-5): Won in scorching 29.05 from box 2. 1st split 5.00
- Dyna Tiber (43-13-8-1): Box 7 winner in 29.60. 1st split 5.04
- Zipping Meg (22-8-6-1): Had some luck when leading from box 3 in 29.55. 1st split 5.10
- Black Illusion (66-17-9-6): Led from the gun rails draw when winning in 29.64. 1st split 5.02
- Fernando Bale (40-33-2-2): The champ won his heat from box 1 in 29.06 with a 1st split of 4.91!
- Lamia Bale (76-22-15-13): Enjoyed the wide box 8 when won in 29.42. 1st split 5.04
- Secret Spell (39-22-2-2): Negotiated the 4 box to win in a fast 29.34. 1st split 5.03
- Sacramento Sal (36-11-6-5): (1st em) 2nd to the 1 in 29.51 from the 2 box. 1st split a very fast 4.96
- Blue Revolver (37-10-5-4): (2nd em) 2nd from box 6 to the champ F. Bale in 29.53. 1st split 5.10
What a race! The champ is here, the champ is here. BUT, I’m going to be that guy and LAY the favourite. DYNA DOUBLE ONE is perfectly boxed here having won 5 from the checks. Had this box last week when unlike its normal racing pattern it jumped it front going 5.00 seconds for its 1st split to career away and win in 29.05. Even if Fernando Bale jumps in front of it, it would want to get more than 2-3L in front otherwise I feel the 2 will be too strong. FERNANDO BALE is undoubtedly one of the best greyhounds we have ever seen. The winner of $1.16 million in prizemoney and 33 victories from 40 starts no doubt deserves to be favourite here. The winner of its heat in 29.06 he gave nothing else a chance showing brilliant acceleration at the jump as it always does. Has won 6 times from this box so that shouldn’t pose a problem. We will be cheering him on with our heart in what will probably be his last race before going to stud but we bet based on price assessments and value lies with the 2 dog. LAMIA BALE will follow Fernando across and likes the wide boxes having won 7 from box 7 or 8 which makes it a place chance. BEARVILLE AZZA is yet to win from the cherry but showed good box speed last week and ran good time. SECRET SPELL ran very quick time to win in 29.34 in its heat however it’s near impossible to get across Fernando Bale. Can run First 4 at its best.