R8 Sandown Cup Final 715m Group 1
Track Record: Miata 41.17 seconds (17/5/2012)
2015 – Sweet It Is
2014 – Sweet It Is
2013 – Irma Bale
2012 – Irma Bale
2011 – Bobby Boucheau
Zipping Kane is rock hard fit and primed for a career best run here. He has won his past three starts; Sandown over 595 metres, Sale over 650 metres and then his heat win here leading into this. I have him on top off his heat alone after being caught in traffic in the early stages, with clearer running he could have gone much quicker.
No Donuts resumed from an injury lay off and was sensational when resuming in his heat, I am relying on that run flattening him slightly second. He can win but is no value based on his early market price. Luna Jinx may appreciate a hot tempo up front and she is capable of unleashing a powerful finish, I am happy to save on her as the best of the back markers.
Wind Whistler has been racing in career best form and is a place chance. Bells Are Ringin looks to be getting back to her best and if she can find the rails early she could run a cheeky race at huge place odds on the exchange. Kilkee Flex and Dublin Bull look to have had their chances cruelled by the box draw and would need their draws to be reversed to be any chance. Who Dey does his best racing off inside draws and is in great hands but just don’t think he has the class to win.
Field & Stats
1. Who Dey: Best 41.91 (8/10/15). Ran 42.34 when winning heat, first split of 6.36. Four wins from seven starts this draw (best draw). Hasn’t won two starts in a row since September.
3. No Donuts: Best 41.78, ran this time when winning heat with a first split of 6.16. Only one win this box from five starts (four second place finishes). Group 1 Zoom Top winner at The Meadows (725m).
4. Wind Whistler: Best 41.86 (5/5/16). Won his heat in 42.05, first split of 6.45. Six Top-3 finishes this draw. Most experienced chaser this field (97 starts).
5. Bells Are Ringin: Best 42.31, ran this time when winning heat with a first split of 6.20. Nine of 15 career wins from Boxes 1-3. Two wins and a second from four starts here.
6. Luna Jinx: Best 41.34 (29/10/15). Won her heat in 42.26 with a first split of 6.38. Has most career wins in field (26). 2015 Group 1 Superstayers winner at The Meadows (725m).
7. Zipping Kane: Best 41.83, recorded this time in heat win, first split of 6.22. One from one this trip. Never missed a placing this draw (five starts). Has not finished worse than fourth in his past 19 starts (nine wins).
8. Kilkee Flex: Best 42.06 (28/4/16). Ran second in heat in 41.98, first split of 6.34. Only one win from this draw (15 overall wins). Second most experiences chaser over this trip with 11 starts.
9. Mepunga Rosie: First emergency. No best time. Runner up in heat in 42.09, first split of 6.19. Has not win here in three attempts. Eight of 11 career wins from Boxes 1-4.
10. Ring The Bell: Second emergency. Best 42.05 (25/11/15). Ran second heat in 42.10. First split of 6.15. Six of 10 career wins from Boxes 5-7. In the money four times from five starts here.