Current Track Rating: Good 4
Weather Forecast: www.bom.gov.au
Friday 26th – Max 29°C. Partly cloudy
Saturday 27th – Max 27°C. A shower or two 4-20mm of rain.
R7 Chipping Norton Stakes WFA 3YO+ 1600m Group 1
- 3 of past 5 winners have been first up
- 4 of past 5 winners have come through the Apollo Stakes
- 2 of past 5 winners have been the SP favourite
- 4 of past 5 winners of the Chipping Norton have been trained by Chris Waller
Previous Winners & Lead Up Result
2015 (Warwick Farm – Good, Rail True)
1st Contributer – SP $2.50F 59kg BR4 – 2nd up, 2 weeks, 1st Group 2 Apollo Stakes 1400m Randwick
2nd Hartnell – SP $18 58.5kg BR14 – 1st up, 19 weeks, 7th Group 1 St Leger Stakes 2937m Doncaster, UK
3rd He’s Your Man – SP $9.50 59kg g BR15 – 2nd up, 2 weeks, 6th Group 2 Apollo Stakes 1400m Randwick
2014 (Warwick Farm – Soft, Rail True)
1st Boban – SP $4.80 59kg BR4 – 3rd up, 2 weeks, 4th Group 2 Apollo Stakes 1400m Randwick
2nd It’s a Dundeel – SP $1.85F 59kg BR1 – 1st up, 17 weeks, 8th Group 1 Cox Plate 2040m Moonee Valley
3rd Hawkspur – SP $16 59kg BR5 – 2nd up, 4 week freshen, 6th Group 1 CF Orr 1400m Caulfield
2013 (Warwick Farm – Good, Rail True)
1st Shoot Out – SP $4F 59kg BR2 – 1st up, 14 week let up, 5th Group 1 Cox Plate 2040m Moonee Valley
2nd Monton – SP $31 59kg BR4 – 2nd up, 2 weeks, 11th Group 2 Apollo Stakes 1400m Randwick
3rd Danleigh – SP $12 59kg BR7 – 3rd up, 2 weeks, 3rd Group 2 Apollo Stakes 1400m Randwick
2012 – Shoot Out – SP $5 59kg BR5 – 3rd up, 2 weeks, 2nd Group 2 Apollo Stakes 1400m Randwick
2011 – Danleigh – SP $10 9kg BR8 – 3rd up, 2 weeks, 6th Group 2 Apollo Stakes 1400m Randwick
1. Mongolian Khan: The Group 1 Caulfield Cup winner returns to the racetrack looking to build on a terrific record of 8 wins from just the 13 starts. First up last time in he ran a game 7th in the Makybe Diva Stakes over 1600m however finished behind noted stayer Rising Romance. We also need to keep in mind that he was scratched from the Melbourne Cup due to a bout of colic. A great horse but imagine the camp would like to ease him back gently this time in. Not Grand Final day.
3. Hartnell: A noted ‘fresh horse’, Hartnell ran a bold second at his Australian debut in this very race last year. That campaign he went on to win the Group 1 BMW before returning in the spring with somewhat disappointing performances in the Chelmsford, Turnbull, Cox Plate and Melbourne Cup. He gets a number of gear changes for his first up assignment this time in and appears to have relaxed better in his trials. Some horses perform best in the same season and a return to his best would see him challenge Winx on Saturday.
10. Storm The Stars: A Waller import who has some of the best staying formlines in the world. He’s competed against the likes of Golden Horn, Jack Hobbs, Erupt, Bondi Beach and Simple Verse. The Chipping Norton proved a great starting point for Godolphin’s star runners in the past (Contributer & Hartnell) and this is a logical place for Chris Waller to kick off. He’s had two quiet trials and has never raced at less than a mile, however he could be dangerous if he brings his A-game. Respecting.
11. Winx: Not much more can be said about Australia’s new ‘wonder mare’. She returned with a comfortable yet narrow in the Apollo and should only come on from that run. She’s won second up, at this distance, at this track so she ticks multiple boxes. Another big tick in her favour is that she meets a field full of stayers! Her turn of foot makes her impossible to bet against.
** Speed Maps courtesy of www.racingandsports.com.au
Good Luck Backing & Laying.
The Betfair Insider