RACE 9 – ROSSLANDS QUEEN OF HEARTS Group 1
Mobile – 8 horses off front.
Race Conditions – Fillies and Mares.
Distance – 2200m
Circumference of Track – 1006m
Important – Racing is in the CLOCKWISE direction.
Key Point – Winner gains a start in the Ladyship Mile @ Menangle in February.
Runner & Comment
- Lancewood Lizzie – Forget last week’s lead-up run when she was drawn off the track and taken back at the start, the task set was an impossible one. Draws beautifully this time and maps to sit on the leaders back.
- Fight For Glory – Amazing effort resuming here in NZ after a successful Australian campaign winning the G1 Queensland Oaks and placing in the Queensland Derby. Sure to have supporters from this stable.
- Spirit And Desire – Also returning from Australia. Having had two months off it’s impossible to recommend her given how poorly she performed earlier in the year. Big odds.
- Culinary Delight – Was poor in the lead up last week. Looking at that form she will start a big price and this looks beyond her.
- God Forbid – Was the rank outsider of the lead up last week and did nothing to suggest she will start at a shorter price and improve on her result. No.
- Better B Amazed – Has good gate speed and was first-up for a month when getting run down last week. Will try and lead them up again, if she can find a length or two of improvement she’s a top 3 chance.
- Willow – Draws poorly and although it was tough to get into the race last week, the stablemate Fight For Glory finished the race off much stronger. Needs everything to go right. Unlikely.
- Art Critic – She will drop out early, and will be best suited if driven for luck. Doubt she can sustain a sprint to circle the entire field and win. Outside place chance if the breaks come for her.
- Venus Serena – Maps in a tricky position likely to be left three back the pegs early. Showed a good turn of foot down the back last week. Will need some luck late but will be finishing home very strongly. Knockout.
- Lusty Mac – Maps OK so won’t have to work in the running line. Didn’t show enough in the lead-up last week to show she can outsprint them in the run home. No.
- Charleston Belle – Did it the tradesman’s way last week and they didn’t run along so it was a little concerning how far she dropped out. Needs to drop back and find the pegs to be any chance.
- The Orange Agent – Started well into the red and didn’t disappoint her fans last week in the Breeders Stakes. Looked to be caught napping down the back, but showed her brilliance when outgunning them in the lane. May have to work harder here after getting the perfect run last week. Deserved favorite but looks vulnerable.
Love the way that the draw has panned out here and although THE ORANGE AGENT is the deserved favourite, I can’t possibly see her getting all the favours like she did last week. She sat close in the running line and didn’t have to pull out until the last turn when getting a three wide cart into the race by VENUS SERENA. Admittedly she destroyed them, but there were a couple of runs back in the field that caught the eye enough to stay away from the short price.
The early tussle looks interesting, and although FIGHT FOR GLORY doesn’t have brilliant gate speed, the drive Nat Rasmussen may just come out and have a look once they are settled. She was super in defeat last time and the way she was racing in Australia, looks to be the value runner. LANCEWOOD LIZZIE has good gate speed and will have enough to hold out the challengers early, but with one of her main dangers drawn directly behind and over 2200m, she may hand up. VENUS SERENA showed good speed last week, will take a sit and hope it all opens up in the straight. That’s where the chances finish as far as taking home the winner’s purse.