1. Powerline: The Kris Lees trained gelding was doing his best work late last start when fifth in the Wyong Heat of the Provincial Championship Qualifiers. One to settle back, he is better suited on his home track with its longer straight and anticipated early speed up front. Hugh Bowman stays aboard following the Wyong heat and the pair should be working into calculations here at the business end of proceedings.
8. Marple Miss: Was fair on resuming in an unsuitable race at Warwick Farm a fortnight ago. Also trained by Kris Lees, she will strip fitter for the run however and furthermore, has an excellent second up record having yet to finish out of the money from three prior starts. Improver.
9. Magic Of Dreams: Shapes as an improver second up after also settling back and working home evenly first up at Warwick Farm.
10. Hetty Heights: The mare appears extremely well suited in the event after a dominant first up win at this course over 1150m 15 days ago, winning by 2.8 lengths and with a bit up her sleeve. Her run returned a Timeform rating of 87, a new master rating and one which she can build upon second run from a spell. Down on the limit weight of 54kg, she appears well suited under the Set Weight conditions of the Class 5 qualifier, getting weight off rivals she would normally be giving weight to under handicap conditions.
11. Daisy Duke: Was caught back and wide throughout in the Wyong Provincial Qualifier and was entitled to finish where she did. At Newcastle from an inside barrier, the mare can be bouncing back. On her prior efforts this campaign when winning at Wyong and Canterbury, she can be in the thick of things here.
Hetty Heights looks most likely to book her ticket in the Provincial Championships Final next month by taking out Today’s Qualifying Heat at Newcastle.