Race 8 Hobart Thousand G1 – Thursday 17th December 2015
Venue: Hobart Greyhound Racing Club
Past winners: Above All, Paw Licking, Blackall’s Boss, Dyna Tron and Octane Show.
Track Record over 461m: Above All in a time of 25.52.
Runner & Comment
- Tecoma Emily– Won heat in 26.10 (split 5.11) from box five. Jumped OK to rail strongly. Expecting a big run from the prime draw.
- Unlawful Entry – Won heat in 25.95 (split 5.12) from box two. Jumped nearer to last and railed through beautifully when his rivals were running off the track. Happy to be against him if he misses the start again.
- Bearville Azza – Won five of five at this track and distance including its heat in 25.89 (split 5.09). Took 20m or so to get going but showed blistering speed to career away for its win as $1.80 favourite. Have marked him top pick.
- Long View Belle – Runner up to Bearville Azza in its heat. Loves the track but the rise in class is likely to find him out here.
- See Blue’s Girl – Won its heat from box three in 26.20 with the quickest split of 5.00 seconds. Was even money favourite that time and it’s likely to jump out first it may struggle to find the fence.
- Above All – Reigning champion who won in track record time last year. Won it’s heat last week in 26.03 (split 5.09) getting to the lead early and clinging on late.
- Dyna Double One – Recent conqueror of Fernando Bale who has won five in a row including its heat win in 25.94 (split 5.07) as $1.30 favourite. The obvious top pick.
- Prescribe – Runner up to Above All in its heat in 26.09 at $7.50. Was running on strongly at the end of the race but will struggle from the wide alley stepping up in class.
- Over Limit – 1st reserve who ran second in its heat to Unlawful Entry. Has won 14 of 23 and if it gained a start would probably need to draw near the rails to be a winning chance.
- Knox And Rattles – 2nd reserve who ran second in its heat from box one in 26.12 behind Dyna Double One.
- DYNA DOUBLE ONE is the likely Betfair SP favourite who has won five in a row including the Brisbane and Melbourne Cups. With only one win from seven starts from box seven it clearly prefers to draw inside despite having a much improved record from box eight with four wins from seven starts with two placings. Above All is likely to give it a nice cart across and no doubt it will be storming down the long Hobart straight. Based on the box stats alone I’d want in excess of $2.50 for it to be a betting proposition.
- BEARVILLE AZZA looks the obvious danger. Not often the best away but shortly after he settles it reaches top speed quickly. The local hope now trained by Robert Britton has won 5/5 at the track and distance and 2/5 from box three. It ran the quickest heat and it may get the jump on DYNA DOUBLE ONE with a slow beginner drawn inside it and Tecoma Emily to hold the fence.
- TECOMA EMILY surprised winning its heat at $13 from box five railing very strongly. Box one is of further advantage but remarkably it has never started from box one. If it can hold them early there’s every chance it can produce a big upset.
- ABOVE ALL is the current champ and has won 12 of 24 including 2/5 from box six. Its early speed however may be a hindrance as it could bring DYNA DOUBLE ONE into the race.