Race 7 Seelite Windows & Doors Redwood Classic Group 1 2190m – Standing Start
The Kiwis are usually the best trotters and I think that’s how it’s going to pan out here The map is hard with a standing start so it’s pretty pointless trying to figure that out. Stats from the tapes however see Eyrish Mist 2/3, Illawong Byron 2/4 and Shang Fang Sword 1/1.
Race Confidence: High
1. Our Regal Love – $5.70: Kiwi now in the hands of Nicole Molander with the Puppet driving. Third when led to Sval Queen then improved when a 33m winner (21m to 3rd) beating Carnera. Looks on the way up.
2. Endsin A Party – $710.00: Three seconds in 10 starts – last time 20/1 when second to Shang Fang Sword at Shepparton. Not here.
3. Une belle Allure (1st Em) – $101.00: Only one start from the smart Golino stable when third at 5/2 to Our Regal Love beaten 55m.
4. Eyrish Mist – $22.00: Won three in a row in Australia before broke last time when $2.60 favourite behind the 1. The pressure told there and that can’t happen in a Redwood.
5. Custodian – $1.55: From the all-conquering All Star Purdon stable – Three wins and five placings from nine starts – looks to be a very nice horse in the making. Topped it off with a win in a nice field last time.
6. Truscott Hall – $310.00: Last start 20/1 when fifth at Melton to Sval Queen. Needs a miracle.
7. Illawong Byron – $11.50: The best of the Aussies? Good SS manners and has won 5/9 with three seconds. $1.90 favourite when narrowly beaten last time in the $70k Vicbred at Melton. Prior to that a 40m winner in the heat at Ballarat.
8. Prosthesis – $800.00: Fourth at Stawell behind Eyrish Mist at 20/1 is not good enough for this hot field.
9. Iona Spider – $140.00: Has potential but this is the A grade. Fifth after breaking followed another break at Ballarat. Doing too much wrong to win this race at present.
10. Sval Queen – $44.00: From the Golino stable – master of trotters. Won at Melton beating Watts Up Rainbow then third to Shang Fang Sword last time. Needs to lift.
11. Shang Fang Sword – $710.00: Surprise winner in my opinion last time at Shepparton following some OK efforts at Menangle.
12. Carnera – $310.00: Beaten 33m behind Our Regal Love last time – needs to improve a tonne to figure here.
13. Empire Bay – $310.00: Menangle form was Ok before a fourth to Shang Fang Sword last time. Not today.
BACK (WIN) Custodian
Race 8 Seelite Windows & Doors Victoria Derby 2090m – Mobile Start
Kiwis dominate here with Temporale and Wilma’s Mate top picks. High Gait can show gate speed as can Sundons Courage. Cruisin Around has a dilemma – does Sugars use him early or go back from the wide gate? A top race with VERY good horses.
Race Confidence: High
1. Sundons Courage – $8.20: Just about the best of the locals – has won 11/21 including 7 from last 11. Led from Gate 7 and beat Red Hot Tooth by 10m here as $1.80 favourite. That followed an easy win at Melton. Driver change is worth noting although has won on it before.
2. War Dan Destroyer – $540.00: Roughie who ran second to Sun Valley Road at Bendigo last time. Will struggle to get near these.
3. High Gait – $9.00: Smart kiwi who has won 15/22 – filly taking on the boys here but she is flying having won two in a row including a T3-T5 last time at Bendigo. That was following a good win in the Vic Oaks. Think a couple are better than her though.
4. Temporale – $3.80: This guy catches my eye – two good wins in a row follow a fourth in the Jewels. Did run second in the Northern Trotting Derby beating Wilma’s Mate and High Gait home there. Good enough for me.
5. Menewa – $540.00: Third to Maori Law last time at Cranbourne just isn’t good enough to win this.
6. Big Jack Hammer – $65.00: Fifth to Cruisin Around was OK following a SHFHD to that horse at Bendigo. Going OK but may just lacks the class to win.
7. Cruisin Around – $9.00: Flying! Has won 10 from 20 including five in a row. Awesome lately beating Sundons Courage in the $70k Vicbred, which followed a win in The Holmfield at Melton. The gate is the only real concern.
8. Pizza Queen – $65.00: Gets a nice draw and did win the NSW Trotters Oaks in a boilover beating High Gait. Sixth to that horse 2 months ago, has had a freshen up.
9. Matatoki – $15.00: Ex Kiwi first up for Kerryn Manning here. Four from nine including two in a row after a tenth in the Jewels. May just lack the class of a few others here.
10. Wilma’s Mate – $3.80: I have no doubt this filly is the best horse here – but a filly taking on the boys is hard. She can do things wrong but when she does them right she is awesome. Two wins in a row after a second in the Jewels. The one to beat no doubt.
11. Red Hot Tooth – $65.00: Kari Males has this trotter flying – beat Hinault in open class last time after a second to Sundons Courage. The draw is the big issue here.
12. Hudson Bay (1st em) – $800.00: Not going well enough even from the master trainer Golino.
13. Courchevel – $240.00: Another Golino runner – galloped last time in an open race after a third to High Gait. Not from the draw.
BACK (WIN) Wilma’s Mate
BACK (WIN) Temporale