Track: Albion Park
Sprint Lane: Yes
Length of Home Straight: 197m
1660m: Im Themightyquinn – 1.50.4
2680m: Our Hi Jinx – 1.55.0
R5 Queensland Derby 2680m Group 2 Mobile Start
2. ICEENOTHINK: Victorian visitor who has won 8/15 and has Chris “Puppet” Alford on board tonight. Coming off a very good second to Don’t Hold Back in the Vic Bred Final after winning its heat there defeating that same horse. Has gate speed if needed and even if crossed then Alford may look to re-gain the lead at some stage. Looks a top contender.
5. KIMANI: Ex-Kiwi who galloped out and lost all chance from the one gate two starts ago, then did it tough here in the Gold Coast Derby when 3rd to Charlaval. That was a very good run and no doubt Matt Craven has it primed tonight.
6. FCEE: Amanda Turnbull brought this gelding North after four wins in a row in NSW in easier class when ninth from inside the second row in the GC Derby last time. Met interference so it may pay to forgive that run altogether. Has good gate speed and may lead this early and/or take a trail.
8. MY MASTERCRAFTSMAN: Gets the gun inside second row draw following the nominal favourite here. Fifth from a horror draw only beaten 4.4m in the GC Derby was excellent. Was four pegs at the bell then and from this draw will be a lot closer. A definite place chance.
9. STANLEY ROSS ROBYN: Smart ex-Kiwi who has been racing lately in NSW under the tutelage of David Hewitt. Has a tonne of ability and ran second only beaten a half neck in the GC Derby last week. Definite chance with the right run.
10. MATCH IN HEAVEN: Smart NSW 3yo who has won 10/18 including last time at Menangle in a smart 1.53.5. I just fear he has been well placed and may be just one rung below the best.
11. CHARLAVAL: Much improved NSW gelding who has now won 10/28 including a remarkable eight wins and Eight seconds in his last 17 starts. Won the GC Derby last time thanks to a great drive by Robbie Morris coming off a win in the NSW Breeders Challenge (Group 1). I Can’t fault it’s form however with the draw will need some cover.
12. NEK TIME: Won the Queensland Oaks (Group 2) last time when did it tough in the chair. That was following a win in the GC Oaks after leading. 2/2 in Australia however from the draw will do it tough v the boxy.
13. BRALLOS PASS: Tough Victorian who ran third to Don’t Hold Back in the VIC Bred last time after a third to Soho Tribeca in the Semi. Gavin Lang will need to produce a “Gav Special” to win from this draw.
BACK (WIN) CHARLAVAL > $5.00 for 1.5 units
BACK (PLACE) FCEE > $4.00 for 1 unit
BACK (PLACE) MY MASTERCRAFTSMAN >3.50 for 1 unit
R6 QBRED Triad Final 2YO Fillies 1660m Group 1 Mobile Start
1. JANUARY: Led and won the Yearling Sales heat from gate three as $1.30 favourite then second in the final from inside second row. Fifth in the Breeders Classic Final from gate five when she didn’t have much luck. Drew wide again last time and didn’t take any real part last time from gate six. Big hope from this draw.
2. SLIPPERY JADE: Won the Breeders Crown heat easily without pressure following a win here in a 2yo pace after leading again. He may not get the lead here and if not I’m not sure it can win this.
6. JOSSIE JAMES: Won the $80k APG Graduates Gold Final from gate four as $1.30 favourite. Two starts ago was ninth in the $50k QBRED Breeders Final as $1.50 favourite from a horror draw. Shook that off with a good second last time from another back row draw. Looks the one to beat here.
10. ELENIARK: Only had four starts for one win and that was in a 2yo here where it led and won from gate four as a 2’s on favourite. Last time it was sixth in the race where Jossie James ran second – only beaten 5m after doing it tough. Rough hope from the draw especially with Grant Dixon at the helm.
11. BONNIE JUJON: Winner of the QBRED Breeders beating Eleniark then ran third behind Slipper Jade when three wide late. Will struggle from the draw.
BACK (WIN) JANUARY > $4.50 1.5 units
BACK (WIN) Eleniark > $3.00 for 2 units
R7 QBRED Triad Final 2YO C&G 1660m Group 1 Mobile Start
4. ROCK WITH SAM: Only the winner of 1/10 which was three starts ago however did run a good third in the QBRED Breeders Final here 2 starts ago from a wide draw. Led last time when third as $1.70 favourite to Tygar. Knockout hope.
6. STATEMENT MADE: Won a 2yo here at big odds after leading three starts back then has been midfield since – fifth in the Breeders Final behind Maestro Bellini when $3.50 after leading was OK. Needs to lift to win this.
9. MAESTRO BELLINI: Is flying having won a hat-trick of races including the $50k QBRED Breeders final when sitting in the chair and proving too strong. Followed that up with a soft Breeders Crown Heat win when leading beating the smart Three Of The Best. Will have to do it tough from the draw but winning form is good form.
10. BET IM SPECIAL: Won only 1/9 however another six placings show this guy is consistent. Third to Maestro Bellini two starts ago then second in the final at $3.50. No doubt Shane Graham will probably follow the favourite everywhere he goes here.
LAY (WIN) MAESTRO BELLINI < $1.70 for 3 units
R8 The Blacks A Fake 2680m Group 1 Mobile Start
1. SPARE ME DAYS: The stable is just too inconsistent and hard to see it improving enough to beat the big guns here.
2. GLENFERRIE HOOD: Won the G3 Wondais Mate two starts ago then wasn’t disgraced when sat three pegs and ran fifth to Hector last time in the Sunshine Sprint. Thin end of First 4’s.
3. IDEAL SCOTT: Led them up in the Sprint last week but ran 11 of 12. Second two starts ago to Glenferrie Hood was good but can’t see it troubling the photographer tonight.
4. STUNNING GRIN: Top win in the “second grade” here last time when sat in ‘the chair’ and won in a quick 1.53.7. Did win a Mildura Cup Heat over 2600m in a sizzling 1.57.5 so can run the distance at this speed but just doubt it’s class at the very top level.
5. HECTORJAYJAY: Is he the best horse in Australia at the moment? Hard not to argue with four wins in a row including the Group 1 Len Smith Mile and Sunshine Sprint beating Lennytheshark and Christen Me. His win had to be seen to be believed last week when circumnavigating the field from a seamlessly impossible position. Won the Mildura Cup over 2600m so the distance won’t hurt.
6. OHOKA PUNTER: Top level ex-Kiwi who some say was as good as Hector last time. Flew home for third to him in the Len Smith then again flew home for third in the Sprint. Hot form and has won two from three here and four from 12 at the distance. Did run second beaten a lip to Smolda in the 3280m Hunter Cup in February.
7. ALL EYES ON US: Fourth to Stunning Grin was pretty good last start but from this draw won’t be winning.
8. MAJOR CROCKER: Smart horse who was sixth from a horror draw last time to Hector when 35/1 Drawn better inside the second row here but will need luck trailling Spare Me Days.
9. ULTIMATE ART: Has been a revelation since coming North and has won 9/18 at the track. Couldn’t hack the rise in class last time in what was an ordinary drive in the Sunshine Sprint but miraculously battled on for fourth only beaten 7m. The distance won’t hurt this guy and he will be still grinding away when the others are gasping for air.
10. AVONNOVA: Grand campaigner who was second to Ultimate Art two starts ago then not far away when seventh to Hector last week. Probably not quite a winning chance but is 10-4-2-2 at the distance so a First 4 chance.
11. BETTOR DRAW (em): Last in the sprint at 150/1 last week. No.
12. CONDAGEN: Tough horse but was 100/1 when 10th to Hector last week. Should be five times that price here.
13. CHRISTEN ME: Superstar Kiwi on the comeback after a third to Glenferrie Hood and a second when every chance to Hector last week. Has pretty much won everything but the kitchen sink so it would take a brave man to write him off third up but the draw just looks too difficult.
BACK (WIN) OHOKA PUNTER > $4.00 for 1.5 units
BACK (PLACE) MAJOR CROCKER > $5.00 for 1 unit