Track: Gloucester Park
Length of Home Straight: 143m
There IS NOT a sprint lane.
R7 Group 1 Gannons WA Oaks – 2536m Mobile Start
2015 – Major Reality
2014 – Libertybelle Midfrew
2013 – Frith
2012 – Sensational Gabby
2011 – Artemis Belle
A couple of scenarios could pan out but I would imagine they would all end up the same, with Dodolicious eventually finding the front. She will be at a short quote, she breezed last week and killed them and it’s impossible to see them trying to hold her out over the longer trip.
What will be on her back is the key thing to work out as it will be the best spot in the race, and three pegs probably the next best. Our Gamma Lady will try and kick up and hold out Dame Puissant and Sheer Rocknroll, both of whom will be trying for that vital leaders back role.
The interesting one is Dior Mia More, Gary Hall Jr will have decisions to make early and he can get them off the arm as good as anyone, he may surprise all and have a dip. If she gets across and hands up, it looks the only chance to beat the favourite Dodolicious. Our Gamma Lady may be best served to concede and take the three pegs spot, she can still run a place from there.
1. Our Gamma Lady: Hasn’t done a lot wrong since crossing the Tasman. She was too classy in two easier races here at Gloucester Park in her first two starts in Australia, before heading to Bunbury and facing the breeze, was a little disappointing on that occasion. Should get a cheap economical run from the draw and over the staying trip that’s the place to be.
2. Dame Puissant: She has gate speed but has been driven with a sit when going best. Unsure whether she can cross the pole, doubtful but if she does she will be handing up to the first favoured runner that gets there. Place chance only if able to get the front.
3. Sheer Rocknroll: Looked to have every chance here two back when starting favourite and leading, no match for the horse drawn underneath her here tonight. She will have to be driven out to try and cross, hard to see that happening, and impossible to see her turning the tables if not able to do so.
4. Dior Mia More: She was eased early last week in the lead-up that many of these contested, was giving them 30m start early in the run. She came three wide no cover when they were home in 57.4, she didn’t shirk the task. Will need a great tactical drive by Hall Jr but she looks to have some upside.
5. Dodolicious: Super impressive overall record of 11 wins from 18 starts, she showed good gate speed from wide on the track last week, sat in the breeze and annihilated a similar field to this. She should use her speed again and it’s hard to see any of them wanting to hold her out over the staying trip. Very hard to beat but there will be no spoil with the odds.