Current Track Rating: Good 3 / Soft 5 (Rain Forecast)
Weather Forecast: www.bom.gov.au
Friday – Max 25, Partly Cloudy, 70% chance of rain 2-15mm
Saturday – Max 27, Partly Cloudy, 20% chance of rain 0-0.4mm
R7 Summer Sprint Hcp 1000m
1. Oxford Poet: Has trialled well for this and surprisingly tries 1000m for the first time. Expecting him to sit outside Aspiring and or cross that runner to control the race for Blake Shinn. I’m usually less fussed about weights in sprint races but on this occasion I’m against him for that reason given the race shape.
2. Mr Manhattan: Handled the rise to stakes level with flying colours last time despite getting a mile out of his ground he hit the line as good as anything in the race. Has had a quiet trial since then to keep him up to the mark and he’s unbeaten this track and trip. His stats say he’s close to a 1000m specialist winning three of four and placing second on the other occasion. Lightly raced and open to improvement he’s the deserved favourite.
3. Hurrara: Can forgive his last two starts, lame at Canterbury then wide no cover at Randwick. Drops to 51.5kg which gives him a knockout hope.
4. Plateau Gold: Looking at four wins straight here, gets Kerrin Mcevoy and will travel in the ‘sweet spot’ in behind a strong tempo. Needs to find 3-4 lengths to win this but that’s not completely impossible.
5. Dal Cielo: Confident that he prefers the shorter distances between 1000-1200m and has been kept fresh for this 6 weeks between runs with a quiet trial. Likely to find cover off a wide alley and can slingshot into the race late. Big danger to the favourite Mr Manhattan.
6. Sundance: Needs to run to a new career personal best to win here but will get every favour from barrier three. Loves the sting out and rain affected ground looks his best chance.
7. Cosmic Cameo: Another suited by rain affected ground and his last start effort was solid. Knockout runner with no weight in OK form for this.