1. Amovatio: Looks suited fifth up to 2000m despite never being tried at the distance. There’s not a huge amount of speed here which will be another thing is his favour. Another big tick is the unsuitable soft to dry, after a good run on performance in the Group Two Villiers which looks the right form.
2. Red Excitement: Another stepping to 2000m for the first time and will map outside the leader or just off his back.Knockout.
3. Malice: OK win last time in the ATC Cup but Beyond Thankful (since failed) and Iggi Pop (second next start) both ran him to a length which makes me query the form slightly. Has a poor record at Randwick and being from the Godolphin yard and a last start winner he’s likely to start under the odds ($4.00 in early betting). Might struggle for clear running at the top of the straight which is another big concern.
5. Centre Pivot: Went enormous in the Villiers off a 44-day break to be run down in the final 100 metres. This looks his grand final and Blake Shinn takes over from Jay Ford which looks a positive move. He started $3.50 favourite in the Canberra Cup in March and ran a very big race without winning, he looks well in here with 55kg. Strange things happen in small fields so hopefully Shinn doesn’t end up three wide.
7. Foreign Prince: Will have come on significantly from the Festival Stakes when he knocked up badly. Improver but races best with sting out of the track.