Race 8 Top Gun – 525m
Track Record: Brett Lee 28.88 (25/1/2001)
2015 – Fernando Bale
2014 – Buckle Up Wes
2013 – Dyna Nalin
2012 – David Bale
2011 – Allen Harper
PANTERA NERA looks superbly drawn here from box one, as the dogs on his outside should run wide on the first turn. He can show fast early pace and his previous runs here give the impression he should use the draw to full advantage. His only query will be the last 50 metres and if one of the stronger dogs tracks him into the home turn. DUNDEE OSPREY also looks well drawn and his best form has come from wider draws, he may be the strongest dog in the race but my only question is him avoiding any trouble on the first turn where there could be chaos.
ASTON BOLERO has been impressive in recent starts and the Thompson kennel must be bullish he can run the distance as they have chosen this race ahead of the Geelong Cup where he was eligible for a $50k bonus, he could give a great sight. UNLAWFUL ENTRY is the big question mark in the race as he has not raced in 10 weeks. He is well drawn out wide and the Bravo camp should have him wound up and ready to go. ZAMBORA BROCKIE is entitled to start favourite given his great Group race record but I am not sure he is at his best and I wasn’t enthused with his run in a Shepparton Cup heat a month ago.
AQUA CHEETAH is hit or miss at box rise but if he landed right behind the leaders down the back straight he could run over the top of them. WORM BURNER is a superstar in his home state of South Australia, I just question whether this tight circuit suits him and I prefer him drawn off the track. LET IT DEVELOP is the veteran of the field and is in career best form, he should get out to enormous odds on the exchange and although I don’t think he can win he could run into a placing if he ‘flew the lids’.
Field & Stats
1. Pantera Nera: Best 29.86 (23/7/16). Has won 8 of his past 10 starts. Only 1 start from this draw but was a win. 2 from 2 this trip. 2016 Group 2 Traralgon Cup winner. Best 1st split here 4.95.
2. Aston Bolero: Best 29.88 (27/2/16). 2 wins from 4 starts this trip. Incredible 5 wins and 3 seconds from 8 starts this draw. Best 1st split here 5.04. Group 2 Shepparton and Bendigo Cup winner.
3. Worm Burner: No best time. 3 wins and a second from four starts this draw. 20 of 32 career wins have come from Boxes 5-8. Group 1 National Sprint Championship winner
4. Aqua Cheetah: No best winning time. Has had 3 starts over this trip for no placings. Group 1 Adelaide Cup winner. Youngest chaser in field. Best 1st split of 5.14. Has won 3 of past 4 starts.
5. Let It Develop: No best time. Only 1 start here where he ran 7th. Has had an amazing 100 career starts. This is his best performed box (7 wins). Group 1 Dapto Megastar winner. Group 3 Canberra Cup winner. Oldest chaser in field rising 4 years old.
6. Zambora Brockie: Best 29.47 (6/8/16). Ran a 1st split of 5.01 on this night. Only his 3rd start in past 7 weeks. 2 wins from 4 starts this draw. Two-time Group 1 winner and 2 time Group 2 winner.
7. Unlawful Entry: Best 29.64 (2/4/16). Ran a 1st split of 5.12 on this night. Sandown Park track record holder with an astonishing run of 28.95. 2 wins and a placing from 3 starts this draw. Most experienced chaser over this trip. 1st up from a 10-week spell here.
8. Dundee Osprey: Best 29.75 (6/8/16). Ran 5.13 1st split on this night. ran a 4.40 split previously. Has a massive 16 wins over this trip. Unplaced in two runs from this draw but has 4 of 13 career wins from Box 7. 2 wins and a placing from 4 starts over this trip. Sandown Park Speed Star winner.