Ascot, Saturday 2 January 2016
Weather forecast – www.bom.gov.au
Friday 1st – Max 35, windy
Saturday 2nd – Max 37, medium chance of thunderstorms and showers
Race 8 Perth Cup Group 2 2400m
- 1 of past 5 winners was SP favourite
- 5 of past 5 winners have carried 55.5kg or less
- 0 of past 5 winners won CB Cox Stakes at previous start
Previous Race Winners and Lead-Up Result
2015 – Good 3, Rail true
1st – Real Love – SP$2.40 54kg BR4 – 6th up, 2 weeks, 1st Listed WA St Leger 2100m Ascot
2nd – Red Blast – SP$9 54kg BR7 – 5th up, 2 weeks, 2nd Group 2 CB Cox Stakes 2100m Ascot
3rd – Kirov Boy – SP$13 54kg BR11 – 5th up, 1 week, 1st open handicap 2200m Ascot
2014 – Good 3, Rail true
1st – Black Tycoon – SP$5 55.5kg BR5 – 7th up, 2 weeks, 4th Group 2 CB Cox Stakes 2100m Ascot
2nd – God Has Spoken – SP$61 55.5kg BR13 – 7th up, 2 weeks, 11th Group 2 CB Cox Stakes 2100m Ascot
3rd – Ask Me Nicely – SP$41 54kg BR9 – 14th up, 1 week, 4th BM78+ 1500m Ascot
2013 – Good 3, Rail out 3m
1st – Talent Show – SP$31 54kg BR2 – 8th up, 2 weeks, 4th Group 2 CB Cox Stakes 2100m Ascot
2nd – Mr Moet – SP$3.20 59kg BR8 – 4th up, 1st Group 2 CB Cox Stakes 2100m Ascot
3rd – Global Flirt – SP$11 53kg BR3 – 12th up, 2 weeks 4th BM80+ 2200m Ascot
2012 – Good 3, Rail true
1st – Western Jewel – SP$7 52kg BR14 – 8th up, 1 week, 1st BM80+ 2200m Ascot
2nd – God Has Spoken – SP$10 57kg BR12 – 7th up, 2 weeks, 1st Group 2 CB Cox Stakes 2100m Ascot
3rd – Senhor De Gama – SP$9 52kg BR4 – 9th up, 3 weeks, 2nd BM68+ 2200m Ascot
2011 – Good 3, Rail true
1st – Guest Wing – SP$21 52kg BR8 – 7th up, 2 weeks, 2nd open handicap 2200m Ascot
2nd – Guyno – SP$8 54kg BR4 – 7th up, 2 weeks, 5th Group 2 CB Cox Stakes 2100m Ascot
3rd – Simply Adorable – SP$41 52kg BR14 – 5th up, 2 weeks, 7th open handicap 2200m Ascot
- Delicacy – Star mare of West Australian racing but she will need to go to another level if she can win with 59kg. Recent history says it is extremely difficult and William Pike’s decision to ride Neverland over this mare says a lot. Drawing barrier 1 is a positive as she won’t need to spend any petrol to obtain the prime position.
- Real Love – Winner of this race last year and now meets Delicacy 3kg better for 2.75L defeat in the CB Cox Stakes last start. Will need luck from the draw and the market is reflecting that given she is now out to $10 and drifting.
- Bedamijo – Easily accounted for Neverland last start on level weights in the Listed A.T.A Stakes 2200m and also drops to the minimum here of 54kg. Expect him to take up a forward position from barrier two.
- Neverland – Disappointed as $1.80 favourite last start when second behind Bedamijo in the Listed A.T.A Stakes 2200m on December 23. She was very good prior in the Group 1 Kingston Town Classic and the decision by Pike to ride her at 54kg compared to her high profile stablemate Delicacy must be respected.
- Respondent – Carried 59kg, 4kg more than Neverland, last start in the A.T.A Stakes and was winding up nicely at the finish from back in the field to finish fourth to Bedamijo. Ideally weighted here on the minimum and could be the surprise packet of Bob Peters’ runners.