Track: Alexandra Park
Track Surface: All Weather
There IS a sprint lane.
R7 Taylor Mile 2240m Mobile Start Group 1
2015 – Mossdale Conner
2014 – Besotted
2013 – Christen Me
2012 – Terror To Love
2011 – Gomeo Romeo
Expect Say My Name to look for the early lead and hand up as it did last week. My Kiwi Mate has been leading in Australia so no reason that Craig Demmler won’t try and be first there again. Hug The Wind has drawn wide so will need to work into it at some stage. Field Marshall may tag onto the back of one as Dexter will look for a trail into it.
2. Risk: Won the Manawatu Cup two starts ago (easier class) then did things wrong when a good fifth to Hug The Wind last time. Hasn’t really won a big one however his best effort was probably in October 2015 where he won “The Holmes D G” beating open class horses such as Sky Major, Ohoka Punter and Besotted.
4. Say My Name: Has won three in a row at “The Met” and comes back to Alexandra Park in form. Got a nice trail and went whoosh last time when he beat Captain Dolmio in a C2-C3 last week. Best runs have probably been a third in the Sires Stakes Final (Group 1) behind Hug The Wind and a second behind Alta Orlando in the NZ Yearling Sales Series (Listed). Looks to be up in class and when it has raced these horses recently he has come off second best – however winning form is good form. Each Way.
6. My Kiwi Mate: Now trained in Australia by Jodi Quinlan he has won three in a row this campaign in C4-C7 type races. Four starts ago was a good fifth in the 4yo Bonanza (Group 1) on Hunter Cup night behind Tact Tate. That followed another Group 1 third in the Breeders Crown behind Menin Gate and Follow The Stars. Can’t really fault his form and is one of the top picks.
7. Hug The Wind: The winner of $330k in prizemoney and has won two in a row including a tough effort last time when forced to ‘sit in the chair’ for the better part of the last lap winning the Group 3 Kumeu Stakes. Beat some of its rivals here two starts ago (Risk, The Faithful and Little Rascal) when a convincing winner of a C3-C6. Does have a Group 1 victory to its name in May 2014 (Sires Stake Final where Say My Name ran third). One of the leading chances.
11. Field Marshall: Has won his last four races all at Addington including an excellent last start victory beating Easter Cup winner Locharburn in the Group 2 Superstars Championship. Also amongst those four wins was a victory over Hug The Wind. Really looks to be going well and despite the back row draw he has to be a real chance given any luck – that usually happens when Dexter Dunn is on board.
BACK (WIN) Field Marshall (11) >$4.00 for 1.50 units
R8 ANZAC Cup 2200m Mobile Start Group 1
2015 – Sheemon
2014 – Superbowlcheerleader
2013 – Stent
2012 – I Can Doosit
The race we have all been waiting for! The two big guns have drawn 1,2 here. I expect Speeding Spur to lead early – the big decision is then whether to hold the lead or will Monbet come off its back and try to regain the lead? Sheemon will smoke its pipe three pegs either way and looks a good place chance with the run.
1. Monbet: Won both his starts since returning from Australia beating Sunny Ruby both times including the Group 1 NZ Trotting Championship last start. His campaign in Australia looked to be on track with victories in the Australian Trotting Championship heat at Ballarat (an unbelievable win) and then the final at Melton.
It all came undone however in the Grand Prix when obviously he had problems and finished last (Speeding Spur 2nd). The trophy cabinet is already full for Monbet – National Trot, NZ Trotting FFA (both G1), Lyell Creek Stakes (G2) amongst his victories in the past year. Can he add an Anzac Day Cup to it?
2. Speeding Spur: A hit and run mission to Australia in March resulted in a win in Australasia’s biggest race – the Great Southern Star where he got a run from three pegs and put paid to the field in a stride. In previous campaigns to Australia he managed a second in the Grand Prix and also three wins from three starts in August last year including the Victorian Derby and Breeders Crown. Won the NZ Trotting Derby in March 2015 to add to his long list of Group 1 trophies – what a race here – who will reign supreme?
4. Jags Invasion: Last two starts have been good thirds behind Sunny Ruby and Monbet meaning he is one of the contenders to fill the placings. Did run second to Stent in a Group 3 Flying Mile at Ashburton in October 2014 so has the ability to place but doesn’t look to be a winning chance.
9. Sheemon: Drawn inside the second row which means Dexter will hug the pegs here probably resulting in a First 4 position. Won this race last year beating the best NZ had to offer in Stent and Master Lavros but hasn’t quite produced that form since. Best form in the last 6 months was a third in the G1 Hellers Dominion Trot where he ran third to Master Lavros.
BACK (PLACE) Sheemon (11) >$1.50 for 3 units