Melbourne Cup tips and betting strategy are online now. Preview, speed map, race analysis, racing tips & betting strategy for the Melbourne Cup at Flemington with Dean Evans of Winning Edge Investments.
Melbourne Cup and full in-depth preview and analysis of each race and betting strategy are online now! Only on the Betfair Hub.
Track: Flemington | Distance: 3200m | Type: G1 Handicap, Min weight 49kg | Rail Position: TBC | Condition: TBC | Prizemoney: $7,750,000
MELBOURNE CUP FUTURE MARKET
Play Your Way on the Betfair Exchange. Click the banner above to get started!
First run in 1861 and commonly known as “the race that stops a nation”, the Melbourne Cup is Australia’s most revered and prestigious horse race, with Victorians granted an annual public holiday to attend or watch the spectacle. It is always run at Flemington on the first Tuesday in November. The Melbourne Cup, which is run over a distance of two miles (or 3200m), currently carries a prize fund of $8 million with the winner receiving a cheque for $4.6 million.
Since Irishman Dermot Weld brought Vintage Crop out to win the 1993 Melbourne Cup, Australia’s greatest race has increasingly captured the attention of overseas trainers with international raiders Media Puzzle (also trained by Weld), Delta Blues (Katsuhiko Sumii), Americain (Alain de Royer-Dupre), Dunaden (Mikel Delzangles), Protectionist (Andreas Wohler), Rekindling (Joseph O’Brien), Cross Counter (Charlie Appleby) and Twilight Payment (O’Brien) subsequently adding their names to the honour roll of champions. Our team of experts study the European form so that you don’t have to, head to the Betfair Hub for their Melbourne Cup tips.
- The race record is held by Kingston Rule, who won the 1990 Melbourne Cup in a time of 3.16.3.
- Kingston Rule was trained by Bart Cummings, who earned the nickname “the Cups King” after he won a record 12 Melbourne Cups during his training career.
- Makybe Diva’s hat-trick of wins from 2003-2005 remains a race record, whilst Bobbie Lewis and Harry White share the jockey record for most wins with four each. The most successful owner in Melbourne Cup history is Lloyd Williams, who has tasted success on seven occasions.
- The widest winning margin is eight lengths, which was achieved by Archer and Rain Lover in 1862 and 1968 respectively.
- Champion racehorse Carbine holds the record for the highest weight carried by a winner when he won with 66kg on his back in 1890. Banker’s 34kg in 1863 remains the lightest weight carried by any Melbourne Cup winner.
- Four horses in history have won at odds of 100/1: The Pearl (1871), Wotan (1936), Old Rowley (1940) and Prinze of Penzance (2015). The great Phar Lap remains the shortest priced winner in history, jumping at odds of 8/11 in 1930.
- Thirty-four favourites have won the Melbourne Cup in its history.
On the biggest day of the racing calendar, you can rely on Betfair’s tipsters to bring you a detailed Melbourne Cup preview and their best bets each year. With European and Japanese formlines intersecting with the form of local stayers, it pays to trust the Melbourne Cup tips delivered by the best in the business. With 24 runners lining up, Australia’s greatest race can be a lottery but Betfair has a proven track record with our Melbourne Cup predictions. Head to the Betfair Hub today for our Melbourne Cup betting tips.