In-play betting at Betfair means you can Back or Lay from the jump to the finishing post across a huge range of Thoroughbred and Harness races.
Betfair’s dynamic Exchange platform allows punters to take advantage of wildly fluctuations odds as runners jostle for positions.
As the race progresses the market moves rapidly and often provides punters with opportunities to Back and Lay at odds not available pre-race.
In Play Betting Benefits on Betfair
- Back and Lay from the jump to first past the post
- Place bets to ‘Keep’ in-play
- No max bet limits or time restrictions
- Take advantage of highly fluctuating odds
- Trade on your position during the race
Don’t just Back and Lay pre-race, if you’re after some added value or just keen to test a specific edge consider taking your strategy in-play. There are incredible in-play moments on the Exchange every day. Let’s take a look at some recent statistics and a recent in-play betting graphs to display how the market moves.
Statistics on In Play
- Accounts for approx 15% of the money traded on Australian racing
- $255,036 traded in-play – Melbourne Cup in 2014
- Protectionist (8.00 SP) traded as high as 15.00 in-play – Melbourne Cup in 2014
- Admire Rakti (10.50 SP) traded as high as 18.00 in-play – Caulfield Cup in 2014
Take a look at the 2007 Melbourne Cup in-play video with live price fluctuations against real time footage.
In Play Betting – 2015 Flight Stakes
The 2015 Flight Stakes at Randwick was a great example of the Exchange fluctuations in-play as Speak Fondly battled it out to just beat Honesta. Speak fondly jumped at a Betfair SP of 2.54 and moved straight up into second spot as Honesta sat mid field.
Honesta wouldn’t go away and looked like snatching it trading as low as 3.03 after jumping at a Betfair SP of 13.61. As Honesta’s price crashed in Speak Fondly drifted dramatically out to 10.96. Speak Fondly rallied under the pressure and crashed back into $1.41 just before the winning post. Take a look at how this race unfolded in the in-play price graph below.